OK, I stole this from Bill Simmons on ESPN.com, and it may be the single greatest thing I've ever seen on the Interwebs.
A little background...anybody remember Battle of the Network Stars? The Big 3 networks (ABC, CBS, and NBC) would all send stars from their shows to compete in Olympic-style events. The winning team would get $20K per member, which in not bad money now and was certainly worth coming out back then. Plus, it was advertising for the shows and for the stars themselves. Howard FREAKING Cosell was the host, which you can just imagine...and the sideline reporter? Bruce JENNER!
On this particular episode, the NBC team, consisting of Robert Conrad and a couple of other folks I don't remember, broke the rules of the 4X100 meter relay by passing the baton out of the passing area. The CBS captain....wait for it...TELLY SAVALAS!!! YESSS!!! is NOT happy about it. What follows is EPIC.
Things to watch out for:
- Epstein from Welcome Back, Kotter...and his MASSIVE 'fro.
- Cosell: "Farrah, baby, I'm not in charge of the RULES COMMITTEE" (how funny is it that this thing had a RULES COMMITTEE?
- Richard Hatch (Apollo on the original Battlestar Galactica and Zarek on the new BSG) trying to play peacemaker....to no avail.
- Lynda Carter in short shorts....YAY!!!!!!
- Ron Howard in short shorts....BOO!!!!
- How big a tool was Robert Conrad? Reminds me of those guys in the pickup basketball games who call phantom fouls every time they miss a shot.
- Telly Savalas was one of the coolest guys of all time.