Friday, August 21, 2009

D.J.'s big night

Falcons coach Mike Smith was on 790AM yesterday morning, and he had some very interesting news regarding the quarterback rotation for tonight's preseason game against the Rams. Apparently, D.J. Shockley will be in the game by the second quarter and may play into the third, depending on how many snaps he gets.

I have the feeling that this is D.J.'s last big chance to impress on the coaching staff that he deserves to be on this roster. I really think that D.J. has to show the ability to be the #2 guy if he is going to stick...you don't often see a guy stick on one roster as the #3 guy for four years. If he can't beat out Redman for the second string spot I think he gets cut.

For selfish reasons, I want to see him make this team, because he's one of my favorite Dawgs of all time and it's nice to have him around. However, if he truly thinks he has what it takes to be a starter in the NFL, then he obviously needs to find another home. That would make tonight more of an audition, a chance to get a really good performance on tape that he can shop around.

Either way, I'll be watching and pulling for him tonight for sure.

3 comments:

Bernie said...

Well said. I'm selfish too and really wish he hadn't gone down with that injury the year Vick went away in handcuffs. Last Saturday was a mixed bag for him I thought. He had some that were inexplicably dropped. But he had other throws that I thought didn't show enough touch and were a little too erratic.

I've enjoyed having him in Atlanta. But if he's not being developed enough and/or has plateau'd here...time to move. He's obviously not ever going to be the #1 guy here or in many other places.

But wherever he ends up and whatever he does...DJ = DGD!!

The Watch Dawg said...

I think he's already beat out Redman. Judging from the game against the Lions, as well as his performance at camp, which has been consistently better than Redman, this news of him playing the 2nd quarter seems like more of a chance for him to solidify that decision in the minds of the coaches. He definitely needs to have a good showing.

I don't think there's anything wrong with his mindset though. If Matt Ryan were to go down, the backup wouldn't be the backup, he'd be the starter, so he needs to have confidence that he can do it.

Unknown said...

Everyone, sing it with me:

This is the dawning of the age of JPW, the age of JPW!

JPW!

JPW.

That Ryan guy better watch out, a 'real' QB is in the A-T-L now!