Monday, September 22, 2008

Farewell to a legend

We all knew it was coming, but that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt. Munson is officially retiring, effective immediately.

This means I have lost two of the voices of my youth in the last few months...first Skip, and now Munson.

Guys like that are just not around anymore...everybody is the "golden piped" objective professional. I love that both of these guys were just like us: they rooted with us, they sweat with us, they lamented with us, they worried with us...and man, those were great moments when they celebrated with us.

"Braves win! Braves win! Braves win!......BRAVES WIN"
"Well, I broke my chair...a metal STEEL chair"
"We just stepped on their face with a hobnail boot and broke their nose! We just crushedtheirface!"
"Gotta steal this one from ya, Dad...HOLY COW!"

I could go on for pages and pages....

Bottom line is that even if there were these type of announcers around anymore, if you grew up in my era and in my location, these men are the definition of irreplaceable. They are the soundtrack to my childhood, and to say they will be missed is an understatement.

Good luck, Larry...hope the fish are biting.

P.S. - ASU, Alabama, and Falcons thoughts coming tomorrow...planned it for tonight, but wanted to pay tribute to Larry instead.

No comments: